Wednesday, November 13, 2013

National Family Caregivers Month in the U.S.

The U.S. recognizes family caregivers in November.
Initiated by the Caregiver Action Network* (formerly the National Family Caregivers Association), the U.S. recognizes family caregivers through awareness campaigns, public service announcements, and more this month.

The Caregivers Voice shares the AARP’s eye-opening numbers of how caregivers view their lives changing and how caregivers cope. Click on Caregiver Coping Strategies infographic (1 MB PDF file may take time to load for slower connections).

The AARP offers more inspiration to caregivers on their November is National Family Caregivers Month Pinterest Board

The first step is to recognize you are a caregiver.


In order to benefit from resources available to caregivers, you need to recognize that you are a caregiver.


It took me over three years to face the possibility that I might be a caregiver.
I didn’t see it while serving as a long-distance caregiver for my father with dementia, nor did I self-identify as a caregiver after my husband and I moved him from his Wisconsin home of 45 years into our California home. I viewed us as spending time together and having fun despite his disorientation, wandering, and forgetfulness. Was I in denial?

It was only after I took him in for a comprehensive geriatric assessment and the doctor and nurse asked me questions about him that I gained a glimmer of insight that I was responsible for my father’s care.

It was only after I faced my new identity as a caregiver that I could finally reach out for caregiving help available in my community–starting with respite using adult day care while attending support group for sanity.

For more, click to read: When do you become a caregiver?
* Click on link and read last paragraph about CAN’s initiative to hold a National Family Caregiver’s Recognition in November.



Dementia Signage for the Home

_____________________________



Weekly Planner (Bright Pink) Memo Pad

______________________________

Dementia Signage for the Home

Behavior Triggers Log (Sky Blue) Memo Note PadBathroom Door Sign-Temporary/Reusable Wall Skins




Checklist for Brushing Teeth Wall DecalDaily Pain Journal (Sky Blue) Memo Notepad




No comments:

Post a Comment